Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Ubuntu Hoary and X.org

I had problems staying focus on what I should be doing recently, that is: finishing my thesis. So much personal problems, stresses, tensions, demands, and whatever I have now. So, I had decided to get myself back the feeling of being a semi anti-social computer geek, careless of people and things around me, regardless of whoever or whatever it might be. ... Something I used to be so good at.

So, I decided to upgrade my playground, Ubuntu Linux,'s X11 system from current XFree86 to X.org, using Ubuntu Hoary Hedgehog repository, a now-testing version which is scheduled to be officially released in April 2005.

So, I added these lines to my apt source.list


deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary main restricted
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary universe
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary-security main restricted

Then

apt-get install xserver-xorg.


Now, I must have done something wrong or there were some incompatibilities between packages, so my X is now not really working. It's working, but, well, some problems with GNOME it seems. So now I'm apt-get upgrading the entire distribution. If this does not solve the problem, I will switch it back, or installing Debian Sarge without X11 and use Ubuntu Hoary repository to install X.org. Will be back with you reporting the result of this later.

Note: Ubuntu Hoary Hedgehog is not yet a stable release. Do not use it for any production or non-testing, non-playing. You're at your own risk!

[UPDATE] After re-installing Debian Sarge (net-install) clean, without desktop environment, changing to use Hoary repository to still didn't really work. X.org installed fine, but GNOME refused to install. There are some broken dependencies, which I just had no time to attempt to solve. So, maybe I will just try Hoary live-CD. Will report back again.